This was a popular lookout for many early visitors to the park. Noticing that it got regular visitation, in 1880 Superintendent P.W. Norris built a railing here and the location has been called Lookout Point ever since. It is likely that this was the superintendents preferred name for the spot. It had been called many things prior to 1880 including Point Lookout, Lookout Rock, Mount Lookout, and Prospect Point.
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone Tour
Previous Stop | Next Stop
Home | Photos and Multimedia | Tour Map | List of Stops | Tour Home
an email comment or suggestion